Saturday, February 20, 2010

BP8_2010022_Web2.0Tool Toondoo

I’m not really sure about the luck that I have had this past week with Web 2.0 applications and the registration process. I am sure that registering for some of the sites just, well, sucked. I understand there are a host of other Web 2.0 tools available and all I needed to do was select another tool to review. I know that I have come across at least two powerful tools that could easily be implemented in classrooms from kindergarten to 12th grade and I want to share those sites. In searching for Web 2.0 tools this week, I have come across www.yackpack.com and www.tablefy.com. Yackpack allows users to set up a “pack” of friends into a message circle. It is still in Beta and according to an email that I received from support, their server is down and may take a few weeks to be back up and running. The other tool is Tablefy. Tablefy lets users create a user generated comparison table. You can insert pictures into a table and also combine tables from other users. I have not yet received a reply to my email to their support team. I can see myself using Yackpack in my classroom to send voice message reminders for conferences and to have students do oral mastery verification. Tablefy can be used in the classroom following lab experiments, where students can create tables of data and then compare with classmates. Although I was not able to register for either site, I plan to keep my eye on them and use them as soon as an opportunity arises for registration.

Finally, I came across another site to use with my students and again I have registration issues! This time I was able to easily resolve the issue and complete a simple registration for Toondoo. Toondoo (http://www.toondoo.com) allows users to create, publish, share, and discuss their own comic strips. Within Toondoo, users can use templates with scenes, objects, characters, and clip art to create one panel to three panel strips. Users can also upload their own images and “toon” them into the strip. The very creative and artistic users can do their own drawings.



Toondoo makes it easy to move from one panel to the next with images because they can easily be cloned, flipped, rotated, and resized. Toondoo characters can express different emotions and postures at the click of a button. Much like in ComicLife, users can select and manipulate the speech bubbles. The biggest differences between Comic Life and Toondoo would be the cost (paid vs. free) and in sharing the artwork. Toondoo allows users to mark work as public or private as well as “re-doing” options to allow others to make changes to your comic strip.
Perhaps it is just me, but I could not find an UNDO button within the easy to use Toondoo Creator.

As far as using this tool in the classroom, physics of toys comes to mind. In each Physics class or Physical Science course, students explore in some fashion how toys and games work. If students (and teachers) are going to get nostalgic about their favorite toy racetrack car, why not bring back the nostalgia of comic strips? I would love to present Newton’s Laws of Motion within comic strips. Force and motion problems can be shown step by step within a 3-panel strip. Because comic strips can be shared, I can complete 2 of the 3 panels and have students fill in the missing panel and save or email their work. After learning about each of the 3 laws of motion, students can create their own rendition of a comic strip to summarize the laws. I can see myself creating a Toondoo strip and giving it out as a study guide to the laws of motion. Learning formulas for problems would be less of a pain by demonstrating them in comic strips. Plain black and white worksheets are overrated. It would be great to spice up guided or independent practice with color comic strips.

force problem
">">

Thinking of comic strips always brings me back to reading the comics section of the Sunday paper. That was a great tool to help me learn to read. Integrating Toondoo into a physics unit not only teaches the math and science concepts, but could easily reach students that struggle with reading.

5 comments:

  1. Link to Julie's blog comment:

    http://thelearningcurveunleashed.blogspot.com/2010/02/bp9web-20-t3-voki.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Link to my comment in Dana's blog:

    http://dkohlsgradblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/bp52010022web20t2phrasr.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ToonDoo! I have used this in my own classroom and think it is such a fun and easy way to spice up assignments and assessments. I would highly recommend this application to educators of all grade levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica, thanks for the insight on ToonDoo. I had the opportunity to take a spin in go!Animate and I really enjoyed it. It seems that the site you investigated is parallel to what can be done there. Both sites can be used in grade levels across the board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica, I love it.. I wished I had known about this site last year when I was working intervention with my seventh graders. This site would definitely make a hit with many of the males in my group. They hated to read, but loved to look at sports magazines. They would pounder over them for the whole period if I let them. The idea of presenting Physics as a comic strip is great. Boys enjoy the comic book set up when reading. It is simple, easy to understand, and the pictures explain a lot that the words don't. I may start using ToonDoo with my ESL students. I have a couple of boys who do not want to try reading, maybe comics might encourage them to try.

    ReplyDelete